Deadline for application
- Educational background in biochemistry.
- Previous experience accomplishing related tasks with the job position.
- A high level of motivation and interest.
- Proficient in writing and speaking in English.
- Ability to handle varying workloads and aptitude for teamwork.
- Organized, proactive, self-motivated, and enthusiastic.
What we offer
- Incorporation in a multinational and highly collaborative team.
- An exciting and innovative research project.
- Contract details will take into account the track record of the candidate.
- Temporary position.
- Working in the mixed basic and clinical research environment of the Josep Carreras Leukaemia Research Institute.
- The stimulating environment of the Barcelona metropolitan area.
The researcher will study the role of SIRT1 in the maintenance of genome stability under stress through a combination of molecular and cell biology, imaging, and biochemistry. In particular:
- Study the role of SIRT1 in heterochromatin integrity and its functional relationship with HP1 isoforms and histone variant H2AZ by genomics and proteomics approach.
- Define the role of SIRT1 in homologous recombination with immunofluorescence techniques.
- Study the interplay SIRT1-PARP1 in the regulation of the histone methyltransferase Suv39h1 by a molecular biology approach.
Among the greatest challenges facing organisms is how to detect and efficiently respond to life-threatening environmental changes (including nutrient deprivation) which are intimately associated to metabolic fluctuations and certain forms of stress (e.g. oxidative or genotoxic). The response to these stress conditions has a major impact in the maintenance of genome integrity and is intimately linked to the onset of many human pathologies, including cancer, endocrine disorders and cardiovascular and neurodegenerative diseases. The onset and development of haematological pathologies like leukemia are strongly influenced by this response and therefore it may be a relevant treatment approach. Our main goal is to define the epigenetic mechanisms that rule this response and its functional implications in genome stability and cancer through a multidisciplinary approach that combines Biochemistry, Genetics, Molecular and Cell Biology. In particular, we focus our studies on the sirtuin family of proteins, which coordinate the response to these forms of stress.
Please also visit our group webpage:
Who we are?
Our mission is to carry out research into the basic, epidemiological, preventive, clinical and translational aspects of leukaemia and other hematologic malignancies.
The vision of the Josep Carreras Leukaemia Research Institute is that research will identify new therapeutic targets and enable us to develop more precise and less aggressive treatments. We aspire to understand the origin and development of leukaemia and other malignant haematological pathologies in order to be able to prevent them. We will work for a future in which all leukaemias will be curable.
The European Commission awarded the IJC the HR Excellence seal in July 2019. The IJC continues to work to maintain its policies in line with the Charter and Code principles.
The HRS4R has the main objective of ensuring that research centers of excellence implement and respect the requirements of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for hiring researchers (from here on referred to as the Charter and Code) within their human resources policies.
This EC initiative aims to promote training, professional development, and mobility for all European scientists. The IJC supports these values and principles, which will not only serve to strengthen its internal policies but will actively stimulate excellent research and firmly situate the organization as an institution with a stimulating working environment that favors the development of its scientists.
This is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, and other legally protected characteristics.
Place of presentation of the candidacies
How to apply
To apply for this opportunity, please send your resume and a cover letter (incl. the contact details of two referees) to email@example.com in the subject of the message: REF.: ESR_AV_25.
Deadline for Applications
Please submit your application by June 26th, 2020.