Deadline for application
What we need
- Candidates must have obtained at least a University Degree in biomedical sciences within the European Higher Education System.
- Candidates must have an excellent academic record (minimum qualification of 6.5) and a strong commitment for scientific research.
- Candidates must have willingness to work in a team.
- Candidates must accredit previous experience in next generation sequencing, data analysis and writing results.
- Candidates must have a high working knowledge of English.
- To characterize by NGS technique 50 cases of unfit AML treated with the same protocol.
- Analysis and interpretation of the genetic profile from unfit AML patients and their possible application in the diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment.
- Prepare a scientific report of the results.
What we offer
- Temporary position.
- An exciting and innovative research project.
- Working in the mixed basic and clinical research environment of the Josep Carreras Leukaemia Research Institute.
- Incorporation in a multinational and highly collaborative team.
- The stimulating environment of the Barcelona metropolitan area.
Leukemias are a heterogeneous group of diseases characterized by the infiltration of blood, bone marrow and other tissues by cells of the hematopoietic system (blasts). The uncontrolled proliferation of blasts prevents normal hematopoiesis causing anemic syndrome, infections, and hemorrhages. Acute myeloid leukemia (AML) is the most common in adults (80% of acute leukemias). The annual incidence is 3.7 new cases per 100,000 inhabitants and it increases with the age. The median age at diagnosis is 68 years. The prognosis of AML depends on the molecular and cytogenetic characteristics at diagnoses (ELNet classification 2017) and the treatment is adapted to this risk (CETLAM protocols AML201270y).
The identification of new alterations in unfit AML patients >70 years old will allow a more personalized treatment, reducing toxicities and thus trying to increase overall survival without losing quality of life.
The objective of the present project is to complete a previous study with the characterization, by NGS technique, of 50 cases of AML that were treated according to the CETLAM protocol for unfit patients older than 70 years old.
Who we are?
Our mission is to carry out research into the basic, epidemiological, preventive, clinical and translational aspects of leukaemia and other hematologic malignancies.
The vision of the Josep Carreras Leukaemia Research Institute is that research will identify new therapeutic targets and enable us to develop more precise and less aggressive treatments. We aspire to understand the origin and development of leukaemia and other malignant haematological pathologies in order to be able to prevent them. We will work for a future in which all leukaemias will be curable.
The European Commission awarded the IJC the HR Excellence seal in July 2019. The IJC continues to work to maintain its policies in line with the Charter and Code principles.
The HRS4R has the main objective of ensuring that research centers of excellence implement and respect the requirements of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for hiring researchers (from here on referred to as the Charter and Code) within their human resources policies.
This EC initiative aims to promote training, professional development, and mobility for all European scientists. The IJC supports these values and principles, which will not only serve to strengthen its internal policies but will actively stimulate excellent research and firmly situate the organization as an institution with a stimulating working environment that favors the development of its scientists.
IJC is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, and other legally protected characteristics.
Place of presentation of the candidacies
To apply for this opportunity, please send your resume and a cover letter (incl. the contact details of two referees) to firstname.lastname@example.org in the subject of the message: REF.: LT_LZ_103.
Deadline for Applications
Please submit your application by December 15th, 2021.